An 11-year-old girl, who cut her leg badly on a stand displaying cakes in Dunnes Stores, has had her compensation settlement for faulty shop display injury approved at the Circuit Civil Court in Dublin.
The court was told how Jade Earls from Bray, County Wicklow, had been in the Cornelscourt Shopping Centre in Dublin on July 16, 2010. As she passed by a cake display, Jade caught her leg on rusty nails exposed on a piece of wood which was hanging down from the stand.
Judge Alan Mahon was advised that Jade suffered a ten centimetre abrasion and a four centimetre laceration which – although it had got better – resulted in a permanent scar on her left leg. Through her mother – Fidelma – Jade filed a claim for fauly shop display injury compensation against the shop and the company responsible for the cake display stand – ABF Grain products of Grosvenor Street, London.
The judge was also told that Dunnes Stores and ABF Grain Products had admitted liability for Jade´s injury on a 60/40 basis, and that an offer of accident compensation for faulty shop injury amounting to 12,000 Euros plus legal expenses had been offered, which the family were willing to accept.Read More